I traveled just over 144k miles this year, approximately 125k of which were revenue flights:
I wound up with four redemptions:
- 2 nights at the Westin Ka’anapali Ocean Resort Villas as part of Starwood’s Free Resort Nights promotion.
- 1 upgrade from coach to p.s. business class on a redeye (20k UA miles)
- New York to Sydney to Auckland to Los Angeles to New York in business class from Aeroplan (76k Amex Membership Reward points)
- A trip to Asia (via Europe) in business class for early 2012 from Aeroplan (50k Amex Membership Reward points)
I earned miles and points from a number of sources:
- United/Continental had 102.5k EQM (mostly from flying, a bit from UA spending) or about 205k redeemable miles from flying. I earned the 50k signup bonus on both the United Mileage Plus Select Visa Signature card and the Continental One Pass Plus card. I picked up another 25k Mileage Plus miles from rental cars (until the end of August, 1k per rental from Hertz) and spending on my credit cards.
- American had about 35k EQM from flying (or 70k redeemable miles).
- US Airways Grand Slam yielded about 119k redeemable miles for about $400 in marginal spend.
- I earned 30k SPG points from the Starwood Amex signup bonus (for $4.5k in spending over 3 months). I picked up another 12k SPG points from 10 revenue stays (including Foursquare/Facebook check-in bonuses) and credit card spending.
- I earned 55k Club Carlson points (50k bonus, 5k for the stay itself) for staying in a US Radisson Hotel by New Years.
- I earned 75k Membership Reward points for the Amex Premier Rewards Gold card and 50k for the Amex Platinum card for $1k in spending in 3 months for each card.
- I’m well on my way to 50k Chase Ultimate Reward points from my Chase Sapphire card (for $3k in spend over 3 months).
- I picked up 40k Alaska Airlines miles from the Bank of America Alaska Airlines Visa Signature card after my first purchase.
- I earned about 10.2k in Hyatt Gold Passport points from 5 revenue stays.
To give perspective on my ability to meet credit card spending thresholds, I spent approximately $22k on credit cards. My total spend on flights occurring in 2011 (inclusive of StarMegaDo3) was $8367.49 for revenue flights and $431.27 for award flights. I spent $2703.62 on hotels (19 stays and 23 nights) and $1727.10 on rental cars (inclusive of insurance, but not gasoline, for 19 rentals, 34 rental days).